UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday evening on ESPN’s “SportsCenter” that Jose Aldo has backed out from his featherweight title bout against Conor McGregor on July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. As a result, Chad Mendes will battle McGregor for an interim 145-pound championship at the event.
Dana White said – “Andre Pederneiras, his coach, called and basically said that Aldo’s rib is too painful, and he will not be fighting.”
Aldo injured his rib in sparring early last week, putting the bout in question. The UFC later released a statement announcing that Aldo had suffered a bone bruise and cartilage injury to his rib and was still expected to fight at UFC 189. However, the promotion also revealed that Mendes would take Aldo’s place if the Brazilian was ultimately unable to compete. According to White, that was the most logical next step for the event.